<VV> Flooding Problem in 140 Engines

BobHelt@aol.com BobHelt@aol.com
Sat, 4 Dec 2004 12:50:36 EST

In a message dated 12/4/04 9:35:55 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
bears_corvairs@msn.com writes:

> I'd appreciate some information on whether the fuel line overflow was used
> on
> the 140's and any other thoughts anyone has the the 140 flooding problem.

Gerry,
The 140s did not include a fuel return line like the turbos. This fuel return
was to lower the pump pressure slightly and to help prevent vapor lock.

Concerning your flooding problems, you did not make clear just what was
happening. Are you getting excess gas while the engine is idling? or at high
speeds? or are you referring to hot restarts? What are your symptoms?

The first thing I would suggest is to visually check for gas dribbling from
the venturi clusters while the engine is idling. No gas should be seen. Then
determine that your chokes are fully open when the engine is hot. You might also
check the output pressure of your pump.

Finally, removing the carb top covers immediately after encountering the
problem and stopping the engine, to observe the fuel levels in the carbs might
give you an indication.

Some more details on when this flooding is occuring might be helpful.
Regards,
Bob Helt