<VV> ignition-vs-ignition

BobHelt@aol.com BobHelt@aol.com
Sat, 4 Dec 2004 13:01:22 EST

In a message dated 12/4/04 10:10:40 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
chevyd51@yahoo.com writes:

> Pertronix -vs- MSD
>
> okay...I'm sold on both of them basically- but I still
> like the performance options of the MSD better...more
> spark...higher output.
>
> So what do you find would work better?  does it really
> matter.  I will eventually incorperate one of the two
> to the turbo after it is rebuilt.
>
> Ryan

Ryan,
What is your application? Street? Racing? What? And what are you trying to
accomplish? You are comparing apples and oranges in some respects.

more spark...higher output. Are mostly marketing hype. The STOCK system
worked great during the production days. So eliminating the points cures most of
the problems of the stock system. Higher voltages sound great. If 40 KV is
better, then 60KV must be better yet? NOT!  But the fact is that the plug will fire
at about 20KV or less (usually a lot less!)  and once the plug fires, higher
voltages are meaningless. Now the MSD might have some other advantages, like a
rev limiter, that might fit your needs better. That would be the oranges
part.

Regards,
Bob Helt