<VV> ignition-vs-ignition

JVHRoberts@aol.com JVHRoberts@aol.com
Sat, 4 Dec 2004 19:36:45 EST

Bob, in all fairness, the stock system is pretty marginal, at least compared
to what today's engines come with. And more spark energy will improve ignition
performance, and help start even the most recalcitrant engines. And for
turbos, they REALLY want to have a lot of energy...

That being said, you are right in that past a certain spark energy there
isn't much to be gained. But that point is past what comes stock.

My preference is the GM HEI setup, if you're trying to use an otherwise stock
distributor. LOTS of spark energy, readily available parts, and those parts
were produced by the MILLIONS, and all the design, reliability, and testing
comes with it, something you're not likely to get from the aftermarket guys.

I've done HEI conversions on Corvairs, Mazda rotaries, Subarus, Fiats,
Datsuns, Farmalls, International and John Deere tractors, and others I can't even
remember! All of them worked well beyond expectations. And for the one I did for
other people, they can go to the local parts store and get replacement
pieces, should that eventuality ever arise.

OK, off of soapbox..

In a message dated 12/4/2004 1:03:46 PM Eastern Standard Time,