<VV> Flooding Problem in 140 Engines

Sethracer@aol.com Sethracer@aol.com
Sun, 5 Dec 2004 00:04:31 EST

In a message dated 12/4/2004 8:35:55 AM Pacific Standard Time,
bears_corvairs@msn.com writes:

I know  that the Corvair turbo charged engines had an overflow on the fuel
pump
that went back to the gas tank. I assume this was to relieve the fuel  pump
pressure when it got too high. This car formerly had a turbo in it and  the
overflow line was disconnected at the gas tank. Does anyone know if the  140's
were also supposed to have this fuel pump overflow? If so this is  probably my
problem and the fuel pressure regulator was only a stop gap  measure that will
eventually cause the fuel pump to fail.

I'd  appreciate some information on whether the fuel line overflow was used
on
the 140's and any other thoughts anyone has the the 140 flooding  problem.

Gerry - It depends on what kind of flooding you are experiencing. The  return
line was used on earlies to feed the gas heaters. On Turbos, the fuel  filter
had a return line for pressure control. On later models (68-69?) they  once
again added a return line (for pressure/vapor control, I believe). Of  course
the parts (Other than the turbos, the return line came from the fuel  splitter
fitting out of the fuel pump.) could have been moved from one engine to
another. I would just plug the return line at the firewall and worry about fuel
availability without it. The indicators you mentioned point to float level
adjustments. The needles and seats can vary in their capability of restraining
fuel pressure as well. If there is bleeding of fuel from the clusters at idle,
floats are the first place to look.  If the car is running fine otherwise,
and you don't intend to do fast cornering, drop the fuel level in the float
bowls. This is done by setting the floats to close the needle at a higher
measured number - since the carb top is inverted when setting the  floats. If you do
want more cornering ability, you will have  to put in the vent tubes,
described in most Corvair books. This allows  a higher float setting, without
allowing fuel to drop into the venturi from the  vents. It won't stop fuel pullover
from the cluster, though, if there is a  leak, but it will cause a richer idle
mixture because it raises the fuel  level in the main fuel well too. - Seth