<VV> steering column interchangeability

Sethracer@aol.com Sethracer@aol.com
Sun, 5 Dec 2004 12:47:49 EST

In a message dated 12/5/2004 3:23:01 AM Pacific Standard Time,
Lazypine@earthlink.net writes:
Hi, I'm working on a 65 with the long steering box shaft(box to horn button).
I have a telescopic column that looks like it is out of a 66 or later. I
planned on changing the steering box out with one of the "flaming river" quick
ratio boxes that has the very short shaft (67-69). I realize I will be
required to figure out the length of shaft needed with appropriate couplers.
My biggest concern is the differences in the firewall where the column base
attaches. Anyone been down this road? Thanks Neal
Yes, Neal, many of us have done this adaptation. It allowed us to install the
1966 factory quick box into a 65. The columns are pretty easy to tell apart.
The 65 column has a pair of "ears" welded to the column where it bolts
vertically to the dash. At the firewall, there is a slip coupler that bolts
to/through the firewall and clamps on the column. The 66 column has a welded on flange
at the firewall, which bolts to/through the firewall and has a clamp over the
column where it bolts up to the dash. The change in design was done because
there was no need to restrain the column shaft in an up-down mode on the 65,
since it was solid to the box, either via the one-piece shaft or the solid
coupler used on the 65 Tele coumn. In 1966 chevy added the stamped, self-aligning
coupler past the firewall. That necessitated a method of restraining the up-down
movement of the column shaft. The 66 column has that restraint. The bolt
pattern where the 66 column flange bolts to the firewall is different than the 65.
But the piece will bolt up, you will need to add a few holes and maybe seal
up a few as well. It is one of those lousy jobs that most people will never
see, because it is invisible after being completed. The upper mounts are
generally compatible between 65 and 66. 1967-69 are substantially different, since the
collapsible column was added. -Seth Emerson