<VV> Re: 63 & 64 powertrain interchangeability

Larry Forman Larry@Forman.net
Sun, 05 Dec 2004 17:31:48 -0800

At 02:44 PM 12/5/2004 -0800, Dan Greve wrote:
>I think I can use the '63 4 spd (with the
>'63 crossmember, input shaft, and input shaft seal),
>'63 bellhousing , with the '64 std diff.
>
>I'll keep ya'll updated, I'm sure I'm not the first
>one to ask this question.
>
>-- Dan

Hi Dan,
Yes that will work, but remember that the 61-63 4-speeds were pretty
primitive and if you drive it long enough, you will likely have gear
shifting issues due to the blocker rings going away.  The 64-65 4-speed is
MUCH nicer, more reliable and shifts silky smooth.  You could retain the
dross member for that tranny, but would need larger input shaft and input
shaft seal.  While in there, you could also swap everything over to the
later bent finger clutch and pressure plate setup.  The biggest
improvement, I think, would be a better tranny.  If not now, something to
think about if you see a good deal on a 64-65 4-speed.  What is nice is
that tranny will work for both Earlies and Lates.  Just keep Early cross
member for Earlies and so on.

Actually, I suspect there are very few questions about Corvairs that have
NOT been asked.  And a LOT of their answers are in the CORSA Tech Guide and
Supplement.  That makes a wonderful Holiday present for some deserving
Corvair owner (you might know!) as does a CORSA membership, particularly
with the discount coupon program available right now.

-- Larry