Fwd: <VV> re:engine gaskets

Tony Underwood tonyu@roava.net
Tue, 07 Dec 2004 19:24:14 -0800

At 06:20 hours 12/07/2004 -0500, John Kepler wrote:
>> I'm a bit put off about using RTV silicones for anything in an engine for
>> any reason.    >
>

>Which only proves you haven't done any engine work on a newer automobile!
>Most new engines don't have ANY pan or valve-cover gaskets....all that's
>there is RTV!  The problem is that most folks simply don't know how to use
>it as a gasket, but also insist they know too much to read the directions
>and learn!  FWIW, RTV works just FINE if you apply it properly!

As I mentioned, if you use the silicone based sealant which is intended to
be used for automotive gasket purposes, THAT works well.   The standards
Silicone Seal RTV stuff that most people pick up at the hardware store does
not.

By the way, for a while Ford was using a special silicone sealant as the
ONLY means of attaching the valve covers on some of their engines.   And
then there's Permatex, which was bragging a while back about how they
assembled an engine with NO gaskets, only the Permatex brands of
sealants... some of which were silicone based  but they weren't the
Silicone Seal brand of RTV...  which was my original point, that I should
have made more clear... or something.

Anyway, I avoid S.S. RTV for car stuff unless it's specifically for such
purposes.

tony..