<VV> Was eBay $19k 66 'vert (long); Now Classification/Rarity

RoboMan91324@aol.com RoboMan91324@aol.com
Fri, 10 Dec 2004 16:41:44 EST

Good point Todd,

I agree that it is not too difficult to claim your car is nearly unique when
you consider the wide variety of options, colors, etc. and all the resulting
permutations.  I also agree that at some point it really doesn't add value?  In
the collector market, the documented quantity for a given year with make,
model and drivetrain are the primary factors.  Options are important but
secondary unless they are very rare.  Lon whittling down the uniqueness of a '66 Corsa
ragtop turbo is appropriate because a Corsa is more valuable than other
models in its two year lifespan, the ragtop is more valuable than a hardtop and the
turbo option is more valuable than the 140.  All of these variations show up
either in the VIN or the build plate so they can be documented.  To further my
point, I have a '66 Corsa turbo hardtop made in Canada.  I believe that
around 143 of these were made and only 60 some convertibles were made.  However,
though this Canadian distinction makes the car much more rare, I don't think
that it adds a vast amount to its value if I were to sell it.  Hmmm, now that I
think of it ... consider the normal attrition of all cars on average over
nearly 40 years ... now consider the additional attrition that the Canadian winters
must have had on these cars ... now consider that I am in SoCal and how many
of the few remaining cars may have migrated this far over the border.  I could
be wrong ...... make me an offer I can't refuse.  :-)

I guess that my point is that it is perfectly valid to classify a collector
car more and more precisely if that finer classification really does add
perceived value in the collector car market.  If further classification does not
matter in the real world, what's the point?  Yes, your 3 speed makes your car
more rare but it probably decreases the value and the color may or may not add to
the value for a particular buyer.  Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  Of
course, this sort of thing is more predictable with collector cars like
Corvairs.  When you get into the stratosphere of collector cars like Vettes and true
exotics, things like a rare documented original color or trim item has real
value.  I don't think that our Corvairs will ever get to that point and I see
that as a good thing.  JMHO

Doc