<VV> Rarity and Value

RoboMan91324@aol.com RoboMan91324@aol.com
Fri, 10 Dec 2004 18:47:34 EST

Wayne,

I respectfully disagree.  You seem to be mixing up the motivation of the
initial buyers with the motivation of collectors.  Most new cars both then and now
are purchased for practical reasons.  People wanted a car to help them do the
normal things in day to day life.  The sedans, etc. were much more practical
and cheaper too.  This is why they were sold in much higher quantities.  A
Hemi 'Cuda was not really practical for picking up the kids and going grocery
shopping.  Collectors today are motivated by many things, few of which are
practical.  People want to own the dream cars of their youth.  You know ... the ones
that were too expensive, impractical or too fast and dangerous for your
parents to want to buy it for you.  Collectors want bragging rights which includes
"Mine is faster than yours." and yes, "Mine is more rare than yours."  In
short, the collector car hobby is motivated by a sense of fun, nostalgia and
investment.  The majority of new car buyer are motivated by cost considerations and
practicality of use.

Granted, there are cars that were low production and rare but have little or
no value today.  For the most part, these cars were low production because
they were undesirable for any of a number of reasons including poor performance,
severely ugly, poor quality, etc.  The cars we are talking about here like the
Corsas, etc. were desirable as fun vehicles but were bought in lower quantity
because of cost and practicality reasons.

I do admit that Corvair owners have more practicality mixed in with the
collectors' motivations I mentioned.  I don't know for a fact but I suspect that a
higher percentage of today's Corvair owners use their cars as daily drivers
than owners of most other classics.  Perhaps this is one of the reasons they are
undervalued in the collector car market.  ...  Corvairs, not the Corvair
collectors.  :-)  However, the motivations I mentioned still dominate.  The prices
for Corsas, Spyders, ragtops and such will always outstrip the 4 doors on
average.

The law of supply and demand applies here.  We all agree that the supply of
the lower production cars is lower by definition.  I contend that the demand
for these vehicles is also higher for the reasons mentioned.  If you believe
that quantities manufactured initially is directly related to the value (price?)
of a car today, I would be more than happy to sell you a Chevette (or any
other mundane, cheap, econobox) for $100,000.  I would ask for more but I don't
want to rip you off.

Happy motoring,
Doc