<VV> The 89K Corvair and Orange Crush

Ken Maxwell kobramax@insightbb.com
Sat, 11 Dec 2004 06:11:12 -0500

Hi Guys!

The car that got the 89K offer was the 1969 Goodyear test Yenko, which I
believe is one of a kind. Rare does not necessarily equal value however. The
62 Loadside is the rarest Corvair model ever built at 369 units, but they
really aren't worth much because the demand isn't there. The key is to be rare
and desirable (like the 66 Turbo Corsa convertible). Of course, there are
still deals to be found out there. I'm picking up a 69 convertible this
morning that I paid $500 for. It is a 110 PG with clock, remote mirror,
luggage rack, power top, full tint and posi. It has a black top and interior
and has been sitting in a garage for many years. The real kicker on this car
is that it has no paint code on the Fisher body tag! It is a factory special
order and is painted 1969 Camaro Hugger Orange. It turns out you could order
special paint from the factory. It was a non-advertised special order and for
an extra $33.75, they would paint it any GM color they had at Fisher Body. The
69er group documents four 69s with no paint code, one is a Buick gold color,
one a GM brown, one is Daytona Yellow and one (now two) is Hugger Orange. Are
these cars worth more than ones painted a "standard" Corvair color? Probably
not. I'm planning on parting out the one I'm buying. Wish me luck as I drive
through the snow to Cincinnati to pick up the "Orange Crush"!

Ken Maxwell
Louisville, KY
69 Red Convertible
69 Orange Convertible