<VV> Rarest Corvair

tonyu tonyu@roanokeinternet.com
Sat, 11 Dec 2004 08:56:47 -0500

From: WadeHalsey <HiHal@adelphia.net>
Date:  Sat, 11 Dec 2004 00:01:57 -0500

>Earlier Wade Halsey wrote:
>
>> ------at the Lexington Convention the owner of a rare '69 claimed that
>> he had been offered (and turned down) 89K for it. That is eighty nine
>> thousand just so I'm not misunderstood. Dick Shank and other VV'ers at
>> Lexington can chime in here----that is what the guy said. Anybody want
>> to guess which '69 it was?
>

>Not much interest it appears =-O

*I* was interested.   I'd thought it would have been either the Goodyear Stinger or the forest green ragtop with just a tiny handful of miles on it... likely the lowest mileage '69 Corvair that's on the streets anywhere and a ragtop at that.

>The answer is the only 69 Yenko Corvair! The one that Goodyear Tires had
>built as a test vehicle for high speed tires. The  owner made the 89K
>claim at the meeting of the 1969 Corvair Group in Lexington. His story
>was that a collector is trying to put together the most complete Yenko
>collection including an example of all years of Camaros, Novas, Corvairs
>etc. Naturally, if there is only one 69 Yenko Corvair and this guy had
>it along with one each of the others, by definition he would have the
>only "complete" Yenko collection. FWIW, that is what I remember from
>Lexington.   Interesting?? Apparently not.

"Pay no attention to the men behind the curtains."  I thought it was interesting.

Ya know, one-off or not, 89K is a LOT of money to turn down for a Corvair, Stinger or otherwise.   The fellow must really like that car, or he has independent monetary means.

tony..  (posting from the web-mail account)