<VV> Rarest Corvair

Bill Elliott Bill Elliott" <Corvair@fnader.com
Sat, 11 Dec 2004 09:27:37 -0500

>Ya know, one-off or not, 89K is a LOT of money to turn down for a Corvair, Stinger or otherwise.   The fellow must really like that car, or he has
independent monetary means.

While I agree 89K is a LOT of money, Bob put a lot of time, effort, and money into getting that car. It (and 3 other very desirable Stingers) lived 10 miles
down the road from me in Wisconsin. I tried numerous times to buy the cars (REALLY wanting the Goodyear car).

I don't know how much of this is public knowledge, but I don't think most people know how special this car is or how hard Bob worked to get it.

Bob spents months and months driving a few hundred miles every couple of weeks just to talk to the owner (who I talked to only every few months...
despite being local).

Then the seller, seeing how serious Bob was made him what most would be a ridiculous suggestion.... that he had to buy all 4 Stingers and at a fairly
premium price. I would have turned him down flat... not being made of money or having ready access to that kind of play money. Bob, on the other hand,
went to great extremes to put the deal and the moeny together and make it work.

Now the car was not in horrible shape, but I'm sure lots and lots of money was spent on it to bring it to the exceptional condition that it's in today.

Looking only at the balance sheet would he make a profit at 89K? Sure. But if you consider the time, effort, and dedication that went into the car I don't
think he'd break even.

This is the most desirable Corvair that I am aware of... and if ANY Corvair is worth 89k this one would be it. Were it an equivalent Shebly (with the kind of
provenance that this car has) it would readily be worth 3 times as much.

I'm VERY happy it's in good hands instead of in a mainstream Yenko collection (where the collector sees the Stingers as an abberation rather than the
greatest car Yenko ever put together.). I can't think of anyone more deserving of it.

Just my .02

BTW, I'm in the market for a Stinger... just not an 89k one...

Bill Elliott
Urbana, MD