<VV> RE: "no other Vairs around here"

UltraMonzaWest@aol.com UltraMonzaWest@aol.com
Sun, 12 Dec 2004 20:12:21 EST

I've got a feeling there are most likely MORE  Vairs left than any other 60's
American made vehicle!

Example:....after settling in this area..never seeing ONE  Vair on the
road...even on the way to Reno's Hot August nights [ hwy 395].......
I all of a sudden noticed one for sale in a towing yard...30 miles
south.....still there!
Then at the DMV when renewing a Vair...the clerk said he had over a
dozen..."would I work on his?"
In the following Spring, when my '69 arrived and I started driving it
around.....EVERYONE I talk to has knowledge of one somewhere...needing "someone to
work on it".
I've found a derelict UltraVan as well......

I think the "unusual"  engine is the culprit......so many are intimidated by
it....
I enjoy the stories I hear...but sense that ALL  went away because when they
became "not worth paying to fix"....no one works on them.....

Quite often when someone comes up..they ask, "who works on it for you?"  I'm
probably not helping when I answer, " never needs repair....so don't know!"

The BEST part, for me at least, are the comments about how FAST they
were........especially after I pass them in the mountains or on one of the many 8-12
mile long  FLATS....then stop for a cup.......where they come up to me. " I
always remark about the "Poor mans Porsche"....

Matt Nall / Patiomatt / WCUH / Chairman V V
Somewhere between Reno, NV.  and Coos Bay, Or.