<VV> 14" vs. 15" wheels

Bill Elliott Bill Elliott" <Corvair@fnader.com
Sun, 12 Dec 2004 20:51:52 -0500

The downsides of 15" rims:

Many are 15x7 which may rub in the front.
Weight (especially a steel wheel) which hurts handling
Shorter tire sidewalls which hurt the ride.

The upside?

A MUCH greater variety of available tires
Potentially better handling from the shorter sidewall.

In today's tires, the best speed rating you can get in an appropriately sized 14" tire is an H rating. Now that's pretty decent for handling (loads better than an
S or T tire) but signicantly down in handling versus a V or Z tire. In a 15 you can get V and Z tires readily at virtually every price point.

If you decide to go to a 15" wheel, I have an NOS set of 15x6 aluminum Westerns that I'll part with reasonably (since my wife decied she'd prefer the stock
mag hubcaps on her car) http://fnader.com/images/CorsaCpe/Westerns.jpg

Bill