<VV> Where do I go from here?

BobHelt@aol.com BobHelt@aol.com
Mon, 13 Dec 2004 00:33:46 EST

Jack,
Please see my comments below.
Regards,
Bob Helt

In a message dated 12/12/04 8:23:22 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
jkean@sbcglobal.net writes:

>   Should I determine the correct pushrod lengths,
> install the proper pushrods and see what happens?

Forget your pushrods. They are least likely to be your problem. You most
likely have and need standard length pushrods. But just to check, carefully
observe the rocker action while someone rotates the crankshaft (engine OFF). You
should be able to estimate the rocker contact point on the valve stem for a rough
check.

If these things fail you might check the amount of valve lift you are getting
at each valve. You could possibly have a worn cam. Sometimes this can be
observed with the engine idling by carefully observing the rocker action.
I hope that this helps.
Regards,
Bob Helt

> -   Have I messed up this lifter?

Unlikely, but you could have a bad lifter. Here's what I suggest. Get ready
to do a hot valve adjustment. With the engine idling, park brake set, etc.
etc., back off one of these noisy lifters until it is loose. Did the clatter
increase or stay the same as you were backing off? If the clatter stayed the same
you could have a bad lifter. If it got worse, then so far so good. (it should
get more noisy as you increase the clearance...rocker to valve tip)

Now tighten the adjustment nut (engine idling) until the worse clatter stops
and the normal clatter starts. Now tighten the adj nut 1/4 turn and listen to
the clatter as you do. Does the clatter stop and then start again after a few
seconds? If it does, you probably have a bad lifter. If not, maybe something
else. Tighten an additional 1/4 turn and see. This should also be the correct
setting for the valve adjustment. Try the next valve and repeat these same
steps as done for the first valve. Remember that the finish at both the rocker tip
and the valve tip will determine how much noise you will have for normal, so
look at these tips.