<VV> Rarity of various Corvairs!!!! very long

Norman C. Witte ncwitte@wittelaw.com
Mon, 13 Dec 2004 09:10:24 -0500

SNIP

> Don Yenko, not Chevrolet. It is no more rare than Jeff Barrett's Lost
> Cause which is also a one-of-a-kind aftermarker-modified Corvair. In
> fact, the 'Cause is in a way MORE rare, as there were many other
> Stingers, just not '69's.
>
> Interesting subject. Where do we stop?
>
> Bruce
>
> Bruce W. Schug

For me, I stop when I find a car I like.  Rarity may have some attraction,
but it's not the be-all and end-all.  I like the aesthetics of the '65
models better than '66, which is why I have two '65 Corsas, even though the
'66 cars are rarer.

Basic economics tells you that the price of old cars, like anything else, is
driven by supply and demand.  In that context, Corvairs of all stripes
compete with other vintage cars, and buyers consider a number of factors.
Rarity as a factor standing alone should drive the price up because it
indicates limited supply, but in reality it is only one of many
considerations for the buyer.  In some cases it will be a compelling factor,
as in the case of the Goodyear Stinger.  In others it will play a minor
role.

Another factor affecting the value of cars has to do with the objectives of
buyers in the market.  Back in the speculative run-up in values in the '80s,
there were many more buyers who were not buying for pleasure purposes, but
rather as investors.  In that kind of environment, I would expect providance
to be a larger factor, though still not necessarily controlling. Since the
return to (primarily) a hobbyist driven market, it seems like there is less
emphasis on rarity.

FWIW.

Norm