<VV> Different(ial) Opinions

NicolCS@aol.com NicolCS@aol.com
Tue, 14 Dec 2004 15:05:45 EST

Tom, in your post you expressed some concern about polishing of the ring and
pinion teeth. Normally, polishing isn't a sign of trouble, or even wear. It's
a normal byproduct of break-in.  If there is ANY height difference between the
polished area and the unpolished area, that's an indication of trouble and if
there is grooving in the polished area, that too is a sign of trouble.

These days, with our lower profile tires (OE tires were 80+ profile), the
3.27 axle yields nearly the same performance as the 3.55 axle originally.  You
will be very satisfied with the 3.27 ratio. With today's tires and 3.55 gears,
the engine rpms will approach 4000 at 70 mph.  I prefer 3.08 gears, (about 3200
at 70) but they suffer from poor launch unless you also change the
transmission to an early, wide-ratio type.  Be sure to check the internal splines in the
pinion shaft.  I like to see 70% spline or more.  Frequently, rebuilders find
the spline is almost gone.  Failure results in a no-go; not good!
Craig Nicol