<VV> Different(ial) Opinions

Bill Elliott Bill Elliott" <Corvair@fnader.com
Tue, 14 Dec 2004 15:31:09 -0500

>These days, with our lower profile tires (OE tires were 80+ profile), the
>3.27 axle yields nearly the same performance as the 3.55 axle originally.  You
>will be very satisfied with the 3.27 ratio. With today's tires and 3.55 gears,
>the engine rpms will approach 4000 at 70 mph.  I prefer 3.08 gears, (about 3200
>at 70) but they suffer from poor launch unless you also change the
>transmission to an early, wide-ratio type.  Be sure to check the internal splines in the
>pinion shaft.  I like to see 70% spline or more.  Frequently, rebuilders find
>the spline is almost gone.  Failure results in a no-go; not good!
>Craig Nicol

Craig makes a great point about the lower profile tires.

I think a lot of the differential choice depends on how you see the car. For a "sports GT" with great throttle response, you want the 3.55 AND short tires.
For a more relaxed cruiser, you will like the 3.27.

My 140/3.55 car with short tires, stiff suspension, and loud pipes will beat you to death on the Interstate. It's "sweet spot" is about 50 mph.

My wife's110/ 3.27 car with slightly taller tires is a joy on the Interstate and will comfortably cruise any legal (and some extralegal) speed without fuss or
strain. "Sweet spot" is about 65...

Bill Elliott