<VV> voltage to coil and plugs etc.

Ken Campbell deltainc@grm.net
Tue, 14 Dec 2004 19:54:12 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bill Elliott" <Corvair@fnader.com>

> One more set of evidence... Ignitors. Some Corvairs seem to run "okay"
with Ignitors hooked to the coil while others (including mine) will misfire
at the mid-
> rpm range when hooked up that way...but run perfectly when hooked to a
pure 12V source.  (And over 90% of the reported Ignitor failures are wired
to the
> coils with virtually no failures when wired to 12v)   And those Corvairs
that seem to run fine with the Ignitors hooked up to the coil also seem to
be in the
> same group that seems to be able to run Platinums okay. Hmm...
>
> So my guess? The ignition system in some cars gets more power than others.
That on some cars (potentially like mine) the voltage drops to unacceptable
> levels under periods of greatest current draw and that this could be due
to corrosion in the wiring harness or a breakdown of the resistor wire in
the
Hi, real good post ... I just gave my streeter corvie a tuneup, and noticed
5.5 volts into the coil ....  this it seems to me could be a little on the
low side for good ignition (g), especially with the 30 year old stock coil.
just some trivia.  ken campbell, iowuh.