<VV> Corvair engine in a Porsche 911?

Tony Underwood tonyu@roava.net
Wed, 22 Dec 2004 23:49:59 -0800

At 09:37 hours 12/22/2004 -0600, Dave Morris \"BigD\" wrote:
>I'm sure this borders on heresy amongst Porsche purists, but has anybody
>ever successfully put a Corvair engine and tranny into a Porsche 911

I'm in the process of doing this as we speak... or rather as soon as the
weather breaks I'll be *back* doing it again...

>body?  I've done my own searches on the web and even been in contact with
>someone who has a totally rusted-out 911 with what appears to be an attempt
>to mate the two up.

Totally rusted out...?    Sounds like a waste of a Vair drivetrain if the
Porsche is rusted junk.

>I'm just wondering if it was ever commonly done or if

I've seen instances of people who reverse-rotated Vair engines, used a
Kennedy adaptor and fitted a Vair engine into the Porsche etc.   I'm using
the whole driveline which means I won't have to reverse-rotate the engine.
 Some parts have to be fabricated, such as transmission to frame member
mounts as well as a rear engine mount and bracket assy, and a shifter has
to be fabricated... the Porsche shifter won't work; a cobbled modified Vair
shifter will.    Axle adaptors are available.   The rest is typical
old-style hotrod backyard swapism.    With a little style and homebrew
work, the Vair engine looks like it grew in the Porsche engine bay.
It's not easy as pie but it's not too bad either.    Pretty much the same
stuff to swap a Vair driveline into a VW works for the Porsche 901 platform.

>there is any literature on how to do it.

Not really... outside the typical stuff you might get off the web or from
talking to Steve Goodman, who has a turbocharged Vair-engine'd Porsche he
drives regularly.    It's not the first time this has been done, so go for
it.

tony..