<VV> Corvair engine in a Porsche 911?

Bill Elliott Bill Elliott" <Corvair@fnader.com
Thu, 23 Dec 2004 07:14:19 -0500

Due to the work involved, I sure would not take this on with a real rusty car. Porsche rust can make Corvairs look darn near rust-free.

I've always wanted a Corvair-powered Porsche (just to mess with the Porsche guy purists) and looked at an already-converted 356 in Chicago.
Unfortunately, the car had more fiberglass in it than your average Corvette.

In my garage now is a '68 912 I bought for the express purpose of converting... but upon the discovery that someone had already replaced the little 356
engine with a 2.0 Type IV engine, I don't think I'll convert as the Type IV makes early the same power as a standard Corvair engine at much less weight....

Jim Vickers had a 914 with a hot turbo Corvair engine dropped in (I have the engine now). In that application he was able to reverse the transaxle and use
a normal rotation Corvair engine.  Given the availability of parts, I think that would be my preferred route.

Don't know of any literature out there...
Bill