<VV> Shipping-NO CORVAIR

Hank Kaczmarek kaczmarek@charter.net
Sat, 25 Dec 2004 23:29:17 -0500

Ron

First of all, remember that "The UPS Store" used to be a franchise company
called Mailboxes, Etc. I don't know if UPS holds the former franchises or
not, but in my little town, the same lady who had the Mailboxes ETC runs the
UPS Store.

I haven't ever had time to ask her if she is now just a manager paid by UPS
or if it is still her store, and she just pays a royalty to UPS instead of
someone else. I do know that you can still rent a mailbox there, or buy
stamps or send things parcel post, so I am assuming that it is the latter
case.

These days, it seems as if one can never expect consistent customer service,
no matter when you seem to go. Could it be that this person that waited on
you was a temp for the Holiday rush, and didn't know what the hell he was
doing??  Possible.

The same problem is encountered at your FLAPS. I won't go off on a rant
here, but most chain parts houses hire inexperienced kids cheap and hourly,
and does the kid really care if you get what you want? He gets paid the same
regardless.

 It can be tough to find anyone behind the counter (except at a NAPA) who
knows how to use the catalogs behind the counter. It can also be a problem
at some NAPA's these days too. If the computer says "check paper catalog",
these newbies say "we don't have it".   Just a similar example.

Since I have been in customer service for a long time, I now make it a habit
to let someone know when I have recieved poor or bad customer service.  I
have had people do it to me, even when I went the extra mile and still
couldn't help them out.

By all means get on the UPS website and inform them of what happened to you.
Helps you get if off your chest, and most companies do something to help
make it right.

I guess I am as frugal as the next Corvair owner in some respects, but when
I go to an eatery, I expect well prepared food, served in a timely manner by
a courteous server.  And since I'm "paying the freight", if I don't get
satisfactory service, just about every eatery chain has a website.  And I
send an e-mail about it, referencing the unit, day, transaction from the
receipt, name of the server and why I feel like I got poor service.   They
usually make it right. At least you will get an apology. And they do look
into this kind of stuff.

And of course, not to be an SOB, when I go to an eatery and have a great
experience, I get online and tell them that too.  This also extends to
things like Airlines, Car Rental Places, Hotels.....I thought the folks at
the Hilton in Raleigh did a great job helping CORSA NC host the Fall Affair
this year, and I sent an E mail to Hilton to tell them so. Ditto for Holland
America Line for the cruise I recently went on.

So anyway, do it. Let UPS know. Let them know DHL and FedEX is out there,
and they ain't the only show in town..

HANK