<VV> Advice needed on carb adjustment

Richard Tyson the.tysons@comcast.net
Sun, 26 Dec 2004 19:07:03 -0800

Santa brought me two new (rebuild) carbs for my '65 110 hp Monza.  Never being
one to leave well enough alone, I disassembled the carbs to check settings (I
also wanted to install 0.052 jets).  When I put the first carb back together,
I followed the procedure described by Larry Claypool in the Tech Guide (and in
the shop manual) for adjusting the fast idle cam.  The procedure calls for  a
0.078 in. gap between the idle speed screw and the throttle lever (with the
idle screw in 1&1/2 turns and the fast idle tang on the second highest step of
the cam).  My gap was somewhat less than 0.010 in. so I attempted to bend the
throttle lever tang to increase the gap to 0.078 in.  This resulted in a quite
"distorted" tang that didn't appear to me to be normal.  When I put the second
carb together, I carefully measured the gap without any bending.  It was 0.007
in.  When I checked an old carb (with a normal-looking U-shaped tang), the gap
was approx. 0.040 in.  Have I missed something or should the tang really be
bent enough to increase the gap distance to 0.078 in.?

Recommendations are certainly welcomed.

Rick T