<VV> L/M convert. gear drive box

Les corvair@mts.net
Sun, 26 Dec 2004 20:09:12 -0600

One of mine was broken as well; Corvair Ranch was kind enough to ship me another for the appropriate monetary consideration.

If you HAVE the broken feet. a good aluminum welder ought to be able to reinstall it like new. I didn't have that option. Only thing to watch for there: proper location, and if it's broken off close to the box could the gearbox be warped by heat? That box takes a TON of load, I don't think I'd leave any fasteners off.

Les

Message: 6
From: vairpair@att.net
To: virtualvairs@corvair.org
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2004 21:40:10 +0000
Subject: <VV> L/M convert. gear drive box

I am building/restoring the power top system to my 66 Corsa.  At the bottom of each leg of the top frame, there is an aluminum gear box that mounts to the arms with 4 large screws.  At the bottom of the gear box, there is a "foot" where one of the screws goes.  It seems that both "feet" are broken off.  Can I mount the gear box without them?  Can I get them welded back in place-and will that work?  Do I need to get replacements?  So far, everyone I have talked to about power tops says that it is common for that "foot" to be broken.  It seems that it serves no other purpose that to help hold the box in place, will three do the job.  I will take all offers and advice.  Thanks

Bob Bauer

66 Monza
66 Corsa
61 Loadside

.........too many Corvairs......not enough time.