<VV> RE: VV> Paint and body work questions for my 64 Spyder Convertible.

Les corvair@mts.net
Mon, 27 Dec 2004 22:14:57 -0600

See note *** below

Message: 9
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2004 20:52:56 -0700
From: Joe West <joew@diveaz.com>
To: VV <virtualvairs@corvair.org>
Subject: <VV> Paint and body work questions for my 64 Spyder Convertible.

Hi Gang,

I just finished  the rear suspension rebuild and my second engine rebuild
and next week the 64 Spyder convertible goes in for paint.  I have a myriad
of questions (paint and body work is a real weakness of mine) so anyway...
Here goes:

1.  If I have a choice to chemical strip or sandblast... Which is better?

*** Neither. Chemical is stinky, dangerous, and messy. But you can do it yourself. I stripped my 63 Spyder - 2 guys, 2 full days, including stripping and cleaning with scotchbrite in angle sander, so about 40 man hours to make it shiny metal (but that was before I knew better). Sandblasting - the sand gets EVERYWHERE, but at least it removes rust. Can also warp panels if not careful. Recommended: have a pro soda blast for about $500  - cleans up with water, and just removes the paint. Then you can spot sandblast the rusty stuff.
<<snip>>

Joe West