<VV> Vendors disk brake kits

Frank F Parker fparker@umich.edu
Tue, 28 Dec 2004 08:52:04 -0500 (EST)

> More specifically - The wheels would be moved outward by the thickness of
> the hat (The portion of the rotor that fits over the hub) - plus a spacer if
> any. Unless I am mistaken - (Hey it happened!)  -Seth

I just got done doing front and rear disc brakes on my 65 Corsa turbo and
used later model S-10 4wd calipers that do not have the problem with
hitting the A arm. In the rear, I used Camaro 1LE aluminum rear calipers
with built-in parking brake.

In the front, the wheel is moved outboard about 0.3 " by the rotor
thickness as others have mentioned. I also used a 3/16 spacer between
wheel flange and rotor to center rotor in caliper and allow for caliper to
move on pins as pads wear. The stock hub needs to be turned on lathe to
fit inside the rotor by just a little AND the OD of the wheel flange needs
to be turned to about 5.930" to fit inside the new type K S-10 rotor.
They fit my original chrome 14" wheels.
An advantage of moving the wheel outboard is that it moves the wheel
flange to an offset area wher most modern wheels offset is: about 30-40mm.
There are not alot of 5 x 4.75 bolt patterns around any more except
Corvette and a number of small trucks like S-10.
Given that, I found a very nice set of aftermarket( private brand for
SEars) wheels at Sears that look like BBS rims for only $65 ea in a 15x6.5
that fit nice and with a Michelin Pilot Sport P205/60R-15 tire ends up
being about 5/8 " inside fender lip on front.

regards,

frank

Construction pictures on web soon.