<VV> Some Corvair (garage heat)

Les corvair@mts.net
Tue, 28 Dec 2004 22:14:17 -0600

Apparently though, you WILL need a source of auxiliary heat if you live somewhere that it gets cold in the winter. There just ain't much heat for a heat pump to extract when it gets to -30ish outside. My parents put in the air-to-air split heat pump in their northern Ontario home. It makes a fine air conditioner but for the coldest four months of winter the aux heat (wood burning fireplace & electric furnace) takes all the load - you can't even run an A/C compressor outdoors when it gets to these kind of temperatures.

Seems to me ground source rather than air source is the way to go for northern climate.

Les in sunny Winnipeg, Canada (warmed up to -10 today).

Message: 9
From: JVHRoberts@aol.com
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 16:02:30 EST
Subject: Re: <VV> Some Corvair
To: ricorvair@cox.net, VirtualVairs@corvair.org

I'm a big fan of mini split heat pumps. You need to wire them in.
the BIG plusses in my book:
1. Non combustion source of heat. Not gonna blow up your garage if you happen
to be messing with gasoline, parts cleaner, 2+2, etc.
2. It's also an air conditioner for the summer!
3. There's a wall mounted unit, plus an outdoor unit. A 3" hole is all that's
needed to connect the two.

I have a 2 ton unit in my 23x24' garage. The thing is WONDERFUL. I live in
Delaware.

John