<VV> Some Corvair (garage heat)

Ron F Hinz ronh@owt.com
Tue, 28 Dec 2004 20:31:22 -0800

As I recall, one of the manufacturers said that the mini split units don't
function below freezing temp.  Apparently they have no way to thaw the
evaporator if it freezes up.
RonH

----- Original Message -----
From: "Les" <corvair@mts.net>
To: <virtualvairs@corvair.org>
Sent: Tuesday, December 28, 2004 8:14 PM
Subject: Re: <VV> Some Corvair (garage heat)

> Apparently though, you WILL need a source of auxiliary heat if you live
somewhere that it gets cold in the winter. There just ain't much heat for a
heat pump to extract when it gets to -30ish outside. My parents put in the
air-to-air split heat pump in their northern Ontario home. It makes a fine
air conditioner but for the coldest four months of winter the aux heat (wood
burning fireplace & electric furnace) takes all the load - you can't even
run an A/C compressor outdoors when it gets to these kind of temperatures.