<VV> Adjusting the clutch on my 64 Spyder

Joe West joew@diveaz.com
Wed, 29 Dec 2004 06:51:05 -0700

Hi,

With engine installed yesterday, today begins the final hookup and initial
starting (rebuilt engine, differential, transmission, and rear suspension).
Yesterday as I was connecting various linkages, I *somewhat* adjusted the
clutch as follows:

Connect clutch return spring

Pull clutch cable tight (from underneath the car)

Adjust cable end so  that with the cable tight there is no play between the
cable and the "hook" in the clutch pivot

Adjust the length of the clutch rod so that it fits in the clutch pivot.

The problem with the above adjustment technique is that when I went and
pushed on the clutch pedal... The pedal traveled a good 3" before I felt any
"real" resistance.

I can go "preload" the clutch by shortening the rod that goes to the clutch
fork but it seems to me that this shouldn't be necessary.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Joe