<VV> Serious Problem with Otto Parts TB-20 Camshaft (link to

goofyroo@excite.com goofyroo@excite.com
Thu, 30 Dec 2004 10:00:37 -0500 (EST)

Similar thing happened to me with a Clark's OT-20 cam.  Within four years and 20,000 miles of the rebuild, one lobe rounded off and mushroomed a lifter.

I did not contact Clark's because I figured it was outside any warranty period.

My best guess is that I had too-large jets and possibly a leaky fuel pump.  The oil smelled (faintly) of gas and I almost never had to add any oil.  What makes me uncertain is, the engine was very tight (gapless rings, new valve seals, etc.) and driven mostly in the city and not very hard.  Difficult to gauge whether the symptoms match the diagnosis.

Anyway, I ordered a similar (regrind) cam from Larry's, replaced the jets, and changed out the mechanical pump.  All is well.  The engine actually runs a little smoother now.

Michael Smith
Dallas

<snip>A year or so after the rebuild (roughly) with perhaps 5,000 miles on the engine, I noticed a vibration in the engine... The clark's supplied camshaft has one entire lobe completely worn down to NO LIFT.<snip>

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com