<VV> Re: electric fuel pumps

lewrish lewrish@tns.net
Thu, 30 Dec 2004 16:10:17 -0800

I do believe all the electric (car) fuel pumps have some sort of pressure
relief valve or other mechaism built in, so that they should not overpower
the carb needles. Ones I have tested develop about 4.5 to 5 psi at no flow,
simulating needles shut. Dont see that a reverse flow situation might
happen, not to say it could not. The mechanical pump check valves are
designed to allow flow in one direction only, if they are working properly.
So an electric will pass fuel thru the mechanical, no problem. If you want
to use the electric and keep a stock look, I suggest removing the actuating
rod below the mechanical pump, and using the stock fuel line routing.  IMO,
the mechanical requires more HP to operate than the electric.
Lew