<VV> Input Shaft question

Henry Kaczmarek kaczmarek@charter.net
Sun, 1 Feb 2004 13:03:53 -0500

Folks
I hate to inject a real Corvair question into the fray, but I feel I must.

I need some opinions on the Manual Trans Input shaft for the EUM (65
Transaxle)

I was supplied with a Deckrug Enterprises "Ultra" series Input shaft, and it
is the correct one.  Matt told me it was under the back seat, and I took him
at his word. I didn't need it yet, so I didn't go looking for it until
yesterday. But what I didn't know were there were some missing plugs under the
seat, so the shaft has been exposed to the air since the car got here almost 2
years ago.  Now that I am ready to use this "Ultra" piece, I don't know if I
should.

It has the correct number of splines, but has some crusty surface rust
throughout the length of the input shaft.  I plan on taking it to work for
about a half hour on the wire wheel on the bench grinder. I am sure this will
take care of the surface rust. I also have some Crocus cloth to use on it if
opinions take me there.  But the question remains,  Will I have problems using
a "Really Used" used input shaft???  I have never heard too much about them in
this forum or elsewhere.

keep in mind I drive a straight drive (manual trans to you Yankees) like an
old Woman. I don't side step it, I don't power shift through it, and the EUM
is not meant to be a tire burner. Also keep in mind I ain't much for putting
out nearly 200 bucks for a new one, and at this point even 65 for a vendor
used one is going out some. I just dumped a hun over the weekend for just odds
and ends to get the engine ready to go. And I don't yet know if I am done.

Not looking for a handout or anything, just wondering if anyone has
experienced any problems in normal driving with an input shaft they cleaned a
bunch of surface rust off of and installed.

Opinions anyone??

Hank

Now going outside (20 degrees) to lie in the frozen mud/slush/ice and try to
install a Torque Arm, tire, and remove the EUM from the jackstands.  Matt,
Chuck, et.al   BITE ME!!!