<VV> Input Shaft question

Larry Forman Larry@Forman.net
Sun, 01 Feb 2004 10:24:03 -0800

At 01:03 PM 2/1/2004 -0500, Henry Kaczmarek wrote:
>Folks
>I need some opinions on the Manual Trans Input shaft for the EUM (65
>Transaxle)
>
>But what I didn't know were there were some missing plugs under the
>seat, so the shaft has been exposed to the air since the car got here almost 2
>years ago.  Now that I am ready to use this "Ultra" piece, I don't know if I
>should.
>
>It has the correct number of splines, but has some crusty surface rust
>throughout the length of the input shaft.  I plan on taking it to work for
>about a half hour on the wire wheel on the bench grinder. I am sure this will
>take care of the surface rust. I also have some Crocus cloth to use on it if
>opinions take me there.  But the question remains,  Will I have problems using
>a "Really Used" used input shaft???
>Opinions anyone??
>
>Hank

Hi Hank,
Given your finances and that shaft, I would proceed with what you are
doing.  I would also check it for straightness and even consider
straightening it yourself if it is not too far out.  Even with some rust
pits in the pilot bushing surface, with proper cleaning, it will only
retain more oil in that area, IMO.  Also, given your easy application, you
should be fine.  I would think the only thing that might create some issue
would be if the TO area was too badly galled, but I suspect it would be
like the pilot bushing area and be fine with sufficient fine cleaning as
you proposed.
Larry