<VV> Definitive Replacement FC round mirrors

Robert Marlow avanti@carroll.com
Tue, 03 Feb 2004 16:56:14 -0500

Allow me to offer myself as the defacto expert on this subject, as a
longtime multiple FC owner and Corvanatics member...

First, there were essentially only three different "factory" mirror offered
for the Corvair trucks:

==> The 5-inch round mirror with the offset stud and the three-bolt
mounting base, available all years

==> The "elephant ear" truck-style mirror, available 1961-63

==> The "Junior West Coast" style mirror, available 1964-65

Second, a myriad assortment of aftermarket mirrors and other Chevy mirrors
were installed by dealers and owners over the years.

The first, the 5-inch round style, was correctly described by Jeff Williams
of California Corvair Parts, including the piece that goes inside the door.
 However, I question Jeff's assertion that the repros that are being
offered for Chevy and GMC trucks have an offset stud on the head; all the
repros that I've seen have a center-mounted stud.  Anyway, these mirrors
were made in left- and right-hand versions, the heads being the same but
the arms and bases being mirror images (pun intended).

Ken Hand stated that the offset-stud mirror head was unique to the Corvair,
but I dispute this, too.  It was used on the G-series vans that superceded
the Corvair trucks, and I am confident on some other Chevy trucks of the
era, too.  The arms differed greatly among various Chevy vehicles over the
years, being available both cast and fabricated steel or various lengths,
but all the correct Corvair ones are cast and relatively short.

I don't know how else to describe the "elephant ear" style, other than by
that term which both Jeff and I use.  It was a large, truck-style mirror,
white, with several mounting arms, in left- and right-hand versions.  It
mounted relatively low on the door, at least as compared to the Junior West
Coast style.

The Junior West Coast mirror is decidedly better-looking than the elephant
ear, consisting of a single mounting arm that bridges the window.  This
mirror was also white, and its mounting location could create a biig blind
spot for the driver at intersections.

--Bob Marlow, self-appointed FC mirror expert

Robert W. Marlow
avanti@carroll.com