<VV> (VV) Antique Auto Club

Tony Underwood tonyu@roava.net
Wed, 04 Feb 2004 02:41:03 -0800

At 2148 02/03/2004 -0600, Robert Hill wrote:
>Putting all the Corvairs together usually would not be a problem; however,
>the way many of the shows are set up, that would be a logistical nightmare

One could at least expect to see specific marques grouped together.   Not
so with this particular chapter of AACA at that time.   There would be
Fords and Chevys and Mopars (1960s) all in a row according to entry number
instead or make.

It was as if they planned their own logistical nightmare.

Understand that it wasn't just the Vair people who were having some
misgivings with the local AACA chapter (which as I understand were
corrected later on).

>at judging time.  I wouldn't take it as the folks being elitist - they may
>have had very good reasons why they did not want to have them all together.

Well... if they did, they never told anybody and they were asked.

The question was simply never addressed, or even acknowledged.   The last
meeting attended was spent listening to the chapter officers debating how
to go on vacation and have someone house-sit, and argue over the color of
the new club/chapter jackets.

It wasn't just the Corvairs.  The general impression was that the
membership with older classic vehicles with expensive restorations were the
ones given consideration while other less exotic cars' owners simply had to
fend for themselves seeing as how many of their questions failed to be
addressed either... and many of these people wound up not renewing their
membership and the roster began to dwindle until the chapter "reorganized".
 This was the way it went, acco0rding to someone in the local AACA chapter
who talked to me briefly about it.

The fellow who had originally asked the local Vair people if they'd like to
attach themselves to the AACA for shows and meetings etc ended up
expressing his apologies for the lack of attention or consideration that
our chapter had gotten from the "ruling powers" of the AACA chapter.   As
I'd mentioned earlier, the AACA chapter went through a change of leadership
later... and the last time I attended one of the shows there was
organization for ALL the different marques according to vintage.  There
were also three Corvairs in the show, incidentally not belonging to the
local Corsa chapter but were cars owned by AACA members who also had other
vintage vehicles.   Interestingly, none of these AACA Vair owners seemed
interested in the local Corsa chapter.   Go figger.

These three Corvairs were grouped together, as were Crosleys, Mopars, etc
instead of being simply mixed together according to vintage.  In fact, the
last AACA show I attended was nicely done... and a pleasant change from the
ones when the Vair chapter was last associated with them.

Nobody in the Vair chapter has suggested another alliance with the AACA,
nor has the AACA offered to have the Vair chapter join in with them, at
least not that I know of.

Now, before anyone jumps me about how this is not typical of the AACA,
understand that I'm perfectly aware of the fact.

tony..