<VV> Re: AACA

vairologist@juno.com vairologist@juno.com
Wed, 4 Feb 2004 19:10:45 -0500

Smitty says:  I really don't have any strong feelings about AACA as
relating to Corvairs.  Just because they don't recognize us as anything
special, is their loss.  I do think they are maintaining a strong front
on keeping car as they were built which leads to one of my beefs.  To be
competetive in AACA the car has to have duplicates of the tires it was
built with.  That means bias plys to us.  They promote driving your car
which is a good thing.  But to maintain their hard nosed attitude toward
original tires which in my book makes Corvairs a heck of a lot less safe
is absurd.  I realize Corvairs ran the streets for years and survived
with bias plys but I wonder often how many of them would have avoided
accidents if they had been equipped with the tires of today in the first
place.  So for those who want to compete and move up in recognition they
must drive less safe cars.  For people who claim to be wanting to keep
cars around for their historic value it just doesn't make a whole lot of
sense.  If this was something that only affected Corvairs I could almost
accept their position but all cars from the 60s handle like pigs on bias
plys.