<VV> Removing U-joints

Rick & Janet Norris rickjanet@charter.net
Sun, 8 Feb 2004 08:55:24 -0500

Over the years I have removed and replaced a lot of u-joints in Corvairs and
other vehicles.
I now have a six ton hydraulic press bought from Harbor Fright with which to
do this and it certainly makes it easier. However, with that kind of power
you can really break things if your not careful.
In the "old" days I used the socket and BFH method. Actually, the first time
I did this was on my Mom's 60 model Falcon using the only tools I had. A
cheap claw hammer and a short section of a sawed off broom handle! We had no
garage but the front side walk did the trick. I don't remember how I got the
clips out but it took a lot of hammering to get the bearing cups out. Mom
was not impressed with my resourceful mechanic ability because that section
of broom handle came from her only still in use broom!
I have not yet encountered a u-joint I can't get apart. The troublesome snap
rings can be loosened up by using a socket that will just fit the inside
diameter of the yoke and hammering it. I use a series of hooked picks and a
small modified screw driver to get the clips out. Once the clips are gone
the press does the rest.
I like to reinstall the new cups in the vise first being sure not to get any
of the needle bearings out of place. I then finish the job with the press.
I also clean the clip groove out and use a little sand paper on the yake
bearing cup hole before reassembly.

Rick Norris
First President CORSA 1971
Email rickjanet@charter.net