<VV> Illinois Legislative Alert re: Collector Vehicles

Joe Robbins robbins@monticello.net
Thu, 12 Feb 2004 17:50:06 -0600

I got this email from my Corvair insurance company, Hagerty. Thought I'd
share.

Joe Robbins

URGENT ILLINOIS LEGISLATIVE ALERT

The Specialty Equipment and Manufacturers Association (SEMA) recently
sent the Hagerty Protection Network the following Illinois Legislative
Alert to share with our customers and agents in Illinois. If you have
any questions regarding this alert, please call or email Sydney McManus,
Hagerty Protection Network Legislative Director at 800-922-4050, x8787 /
<mailto:smcmanus@hagerty.com> smcmanus@hagerty.com or Steve McDonald,
SEMA Senior Director of Government and Technical Affairs at
<mailto:stevem@sema.org> stevem@sema.org.

Illinois Introduces Bill to Further Restrict Inoperable Collector
Vehicles

A bill (H.B. 4910) has been introduced in Illinois that would further
restrict the ability of Illinois vehicle hobbyists from maintaining
inoperable vehicles on private property.  The bill removes historic
vehicles over 25 years of age from a list of vehicles exempt from county
inoperable-vehicle ordinances if they are not kept within a building.
Under current law, a county board may declare all inoperable vehicles a
nuisance and order their disposal.  This bill, if enacted, would subject
your ungaraged historic hobby cars to disposal and possible fines.

We Urge You to Contact Your State Legislators Immediately To Request
Their Opposition to H.B. 4910

*	H.B. 4910 would give local authorities an inordinate amount of
power in determining the disposition of historic project cars.

*	H.B. 4910 would make it virtually impossible for Illinois
hobbyists to maintain inoperable collector vehicles on private property.

*	H.B. 4910 demonstrates a lack of understanding of the vehicle
hobby and the rights of hobbyists.

Contact your State Legislators in Springfield immediately by phone, fax
or e-mail in opposition to H.B. 4910.  This bill tramples on the rights
of vehicle enthusiasts and collectors in Illinois.  If you need
assistance in determining who your state legislators are and their
contact information, please contact the Illinois Legislature's General
Information Line at 217/782-2000.     This information can also be
obtained via the Hagerty Protection Network website, "Advocacy Avenue"
section at http://www.hagerty.com/advocacy/adv_sections.asp?z=contact
<http://newsletter.hagerty.com/t.asp?S=2&ID=28&NL=2&N=24&SI=28064&URL=ht
tp%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ehagerty%2Ecom%2Fadvocacy%2Fadv%5Fsections%2Easp%3Fz%3Dc
ontact>  or by emailing or calling Sydney McManus, Hagerty Protection
Network Legislative Director, at smcmanus@hagerty.com or 800-922-4050,
x8787.

Please e-mail a copy of your letters to us at
<mailto:smcmanus@hagerty.com> smcmanus@hagerty.com or fax:
231-932-6887.

Thank you for your commitment to the hobby.

Sincerely,

McKeel Hagerty
Hagerty Protection Network