<VV> Starter Question

Ken lcm8044@yahoo.com
Thu, 12 Feb 2004 15:58:36 -0800 (PST)

66 Corsa Coupe

Here is the short version of the story.

The car is currently undergoing body work in preparation for paint. I start it now and then to move the car and get a better location for the body work. Yesterday I started up, and the starter remained engaged and before I could get the key off the snout broke off the starter. I know this to be true because I removed the starter, and it is now on the bench.

My question is one that I am sure someone else in the same predicament  has asked. I have the old starter out, and a spare ready to go in, but the thing that bothers me is that I dont have the piece that is broken off the start snout. I turned the engine over by hand in a quiet garage and cant hear anything rubbing, but I just cant bring myself to put the spare starter back in with out having the broken piece in hand. Is there a way to get it out with out pulling the engine and drive train.

66 Corsa with a 65 110 with 4 speed.

The engine will come out eventually, I have a replacement 140, but I prefer to finish the body and paint first.

Ken Morgan

Olympia, Wa.

66 Corsa with a starterless 110