<VV> Starter Question

Larry Forman Larry@Forman.net
Thu, 12 Feb 2004 19:09:09 -0800

Hi Ken,
My guess is that the flywheel has loose rivets and has caused the ring gear
to be non-concentric.  I would recommend checking the ring gear and see if
it moves outward or inward as you have someone rotate the engine from the
harmonic balancer bolt counterclockwise.  Take something to measure it as
it moves.  If it is out of concentricity, it is engine pull time
anyway.  Before you ask, I don't know the specs for maximum
concentricity.  If it is WAY out you will know it.  I suspect DALE would be
able to answer that question and could supply a good bolted flywheel.

As far as removing that, you could take a claw flexible pickup tool and
fish around.  If that failed, I suppose you could loosen the surrounds,
support the engine on something like an ATV lift with cradle, remove the
rear engine support and plan on pulling the engine back JUST far enough to
get access to what is down there.  I am not sure how much other stuff you
might need to remove to gain that access.  I suspect you could leave all
the wiring except the short static suppression straps intact for a couple
inches engine movement.

Personally, I would spend a good amount of time using the fishing claw
first through the starter hole.

Larry