<VV> Intermittent Crank Jam: Solved

N. Joseph Potts pottsf@msn.com
Sat, 14 Feb 2004 09:21:33 -0500

Hydraulic lock.
     Unbeknownst to the rest of the list, this car has been fitted with an
electric fuel pump. Also unknown: the pump is not connected to an
oil-pressure switch that keeps it from running when the engine isn't
running. Recently discovered: the inlet valve on the right carb won't close.
I have little experience with electric fuel pumps on Corvairs, so when I
turned on the ignition key and heard (very loudly) the pump running, I
assumed it was filling the fuel bowls. I found it curious that it didn't
seem to stop after a reasonable period of time. I DID smell a lot of gas.
     So, by the time I turned the starter over, one or more of the cylinders
on the right side had a lot of liquid fuel in it, stopping the crank and
starter motor from turning over. With the plugs out (and fuel pump
disconnected), it spins like a banshee.
     The oil was highly diluted with gas; I've removed it. I will recommend
rebuilding both carbs, with particular attention to the right-side float,
and either installing an oil-pressure switch to govern the fuel pump or,
better yet, converting the fuel system back to the way it was originally
made.
     Thanks to all on the list who, with incomplete information as usual,
contributed their ideas and knowledege.

Joe Potts
Miami, Florida USA
1966 Monza coupe 110hp 4-speed