<VV> Intermittent Crank Jam: Solved

Tony Underwood tonyu@roava.net
Sat, 14 Feb 2004 10:08:30 -0800

At 0921 02/14/2004 -0500, N. Joseph Potts wrote:
>Hydraulic lock.
>     Unbeknownst to the rest of the list, this car has been fitted with an
>electric fuel pump. Also unknown: the pump is not connected to an
>oil-pressure switch that keeps it from running when the engine isn't
>running. Recently discovered: the inlet valve on the right carb won't close.

Humm...

Yet *another* instance where fooling around with electric fuel pumps causes
problems.  To this day I own no Vair with anything but an ordinary
mechanically operated (and *Correct*) fuel pump and they work fine.   By
the way... the pump on my 1960 4-door is the one that was on it when I got
it 20 years ago and it's been off the car, dismantled, inspected, checked,
still looks good inside and still pumps as it should and it's back on the
car and still working just as it's supposed to work.  The last pump I
bought went on the ragtop, which (while parked and getting some work done
to it) had its pump kinda "stolen" so as to get another Vair engine
resurrected and running, got a new one and made SURE it was the right pump
with the correct type of diaphragm material, installed it, snugged the top
cover screws, no problems for several years now nor do I expect any.

tony..     primed and ready for any retorts of any sort