<VV> Turbo Carb leaking very bad!

Tony Underwood tonyu@roava.net
Sun, 15 Feb 2004 20:42:21 -0800

At 0100 02/16/2004 +0000, seoxford@att.net wrote:

>Wouldn't it be a little dangerous to try and re-solder a carb float??
I've had leaky carb floats before and have just tossed them...

You can boil gasoline and it will not ignite without an open flame or a
spark.  This has been demonstrated time and again as far back as on Mr
Wizard as well as a DOT safety film I saw in high school.   The same demo
also demonstrated that gasoline, unlike water, increases in temp as it
heats, boiling more vigorously as its temp increases past the initial
boiling point.

I've also soldered carb floats and the only roubles I ever had with
residual gas inside the floats was that it kept boiling off and
pressurizing the float and blowing the solder off the joint.   Moral of
story:  Cook the float and boil off the rest of the gasoline before you try
to solder the float... and remember that the float needs to remain light;
keep the solder to a minimum.   And *Obviously* no sparks or open flames.

tony..