<VV> Turbo Carb leaking very bad!

Jim Simpson simpsonj@bellatlantic.net
Mon, 16 Feb 2004 09:38:48 -0500

I doubt it.  First, before I resolder it, I'll "bake" it for a while using
a hot air gun to boil off any remaining gasoline inside.  (I may drill a
weep hole to ensure everything is out and if I do, I'll flush it with brake
clean.)  A few heating and cooling cycles will pretty much eliminate any
significant amount of gasoline in there.  Then when I do resolder it, I'll
probably use an electric iron rather than a torch -- not likely to ignite
any fumes that way.  (Given how thin the brass shell is, you'd need to use
a very small flame with a torch anyway.)  Finally the volume is pretty
small.  I know that small amounts of vapor with the right amount of air can
make pretty spectacular bangs, but the amount that could be retained in a
float is pretty small.  Overall, the risks seem small and
manageable.  (I'll wear safety glasses "just in case.")

The other side of this is that they aren't making any new floats for the
Carter YH carbs!

Jim Simpson