<VV> Used Engine Oil for Heating

RoboMan91324@aol.com RoboMan91324@aol.com
Tue, 17 Feb 2004 12:20:43 EST

Hey Gang,

I don't know about you folks but foreign matter always seems to sneak into my
oil container between changes.  Leaves, dirt, spiders (not Spyders), etc.
This may be a minimal problem if the container is covered and/or plugged but
that is where this train started isn't it?  The point is that sludge, dirt etc.
that finds its way into your container will find its way into the filter for
your furnace or into the spray ports in the combustion chamber.  If you dump
your motor oil into your fuel tank, be sure it is clean or you will probably
spend more maintaining/repairing your furnace than you save on fuel.  Because most
of us don't get rid of more than a few gallons of motor oil in a heating
season the main benefit of this kind of disposal is that we would avoid a trip to
the recycler.  Is it worth it?

The heating systems that burned only motor oil that I have seen used the
"surface combustion" method that Bob Marlow mentioned.  The last one I saw was
about 25 years ago.  These were considered to be dangerous and smelly even in
those days.  Of course, the "smelly" part means that they are heavy pollution
contributors by today's standards.  The oil that burns on the surface isn't hot
enough to burn up pollutants.  There may be a more modern technology that
allows you to burn waste oil cleanly but I am not familiar with it.  You don't need
the EPA on your butt.  JMHO

Doc