<VV> More details on rough running at WOT

Daniel Kinzelman dankinzelman@hotmail.com
Mon, 23 Feb 2004 10:53:33 -0600

Hello

I'd like to thank those of you who have been consistently responding to my
queries on getting my engine running right.  I have performed a few more
tests and would like to update you all and see if this brings anything to
light.  I'm sorry this email is so long, but I want to make sure all
relevant details are included.  My car is a 1966 Monza coupe with a 110
horse engine that has aftermarket dual exhausts, an electric fuel pump from
the Source, and a Pertronix ignitor.  To my knowledge, the engine is
otherwise totally stock.  Joe Potts has been assisting my attempts to
diagnose and repair the problem.  We recently replaced a bad inlet valve on
the passenger side carb which was preventing my car from running, but the
miss is on the other side, and has been bothering me since I purchased the
car last August.
We ran a compression check and found excellent compression on all cylinders
(average 140-150 psi).  The miss appears to be exclusively occuring on the
left side of the engine.  Someone suggested bad plug wires or carbon
tracking, so I tried a cylinder balance test on that side.  Each cylinder
that I grounded seemed to result in approximately equal loss of rpm and
increased roughness (I didn't try the passenger side plugs at all).  I don't
know what carbon tracking looks like, but I pulled the rotor cap, and it
looks clean inside.
Some people have suggested poor fuel supply as the source of this problem.
I have a transparent plastic inline fuel filter with an electric pump.
Therefore, I can see the condition of the fuel supply, and I don't see
anything indicating fuel starvation at idle or the little bit of throttle I
gave it during the testing.  In addition, the fact that the miss only occurs
on one side of the engine seems to indicate that any fuel supply problems
must be downstream of the T-fitting.  Also worth noting is that due to the
in line filter and electric pump, the inlet stones on both carbs were
removed before I purchased the car, and we did not replace them.  We have
removed both carbs and set float level and drop to specifications, and
replaced one inlet needle and seat.  The float bowls looked reasonably
clean, and the driver's side jet is marked 50.  We neglected to check the
passenger side jet, and we did not dissasemble the venturi cluster or
accelerator pumps on either carb.  The pump shot looks good on both carbs,
and the inlet valves appear to be holding fuel pressure very well.
Currently, the car's idle is inconsistent, usually very poor (very lumpy),
especially when cold.  There is a constant, severe pulsation in the driver's
side exhaust that can be clearly heard and felt if you hold a hand in front
of the pipe.  When I open the throttle, the left exhaust kind of thumps and
the miss appears to get worse.  Under load, the engine runs worse as the
throttles are opened more.  At a certain point, (maybe 50% throttle) it gets
really rough and acceleration is very poor.  At this point, I can actually
increase the acceleration by lifting off the throttle a little bit.  There
is no obvious valvetrain noise, and the cam gear does not appear to have
slipped.  I performed a hot valve adjustment on the engine without any
noticeable results for better or worse.  I am running the proper oil level,
and the problem is present when I run either midgrade or premium gasoline.
The engine does not ping.  The vaccuum advance seems to hold a vaccuum very
well, and I recently replaced most of the vaccuum tubing.  We have not
checked the centrifugal advance to see if the weights are installed
backwards, but my understanding is that the centrifugal advance doesn't come
into play until fairly high rpms (2 or 3,000 if I understand correctly), and
this problem occurs at from idle to redline.  I have tried advancing the
timing, but that didn't help either.
My plans at the moment are to swap carbs from left to right to see if that
moves the problem to the other side.  Please let me know if you have any
thoughts on what my next step should be if this doesn't work.  Although the
car is functional right now and gets me where I need to go, it's very
frustrating to drive in its current state.  Thanks for all your help and
advice.

Dan

MSN - More useful every day http://www.msn.de