<VV> More details on rough running at WOT

Williams, Rickie williamr@lindsey.edu
Mon, 23 Feb 2004 12:48:03 -0600

	big snip  Someone suggested bad plug wires or carbon
> tracking, so I tried a cylinder balance test on that side.  Each cylinder
> that I grounded seemed to result in approximately equal loss of rpm and
> increased roughness (I didn't try the passenger side plugs at all).

If each cylinder resulted in an approx. equal loss of RPM and increased
roughness, then each cylinder was firing prior to grounding...thus not
missing at idle anyway.

If the easy things to check like swapping carbs, new plug wires, etc doesn't
reveal the problem, then here's my suggestion...

You mentioned that the cam gear apparently had not slipped (based upon
what?), but could it possibly be slipping back and forth...not in the teeth
where it meshes with the crank gear, but in the woodruff key that mounts the
cam gear to the cam shaft.  My 65 Corsa ran about like the way you describe
yours running...poorly at advanced throttle positions.  I gave up and tore
it down.  The woodruff key slot in the cam gear was at least two times as
wide as it was supposed to be if not three.  Why it did this I will never
know, but it now has a fail safe cam gear.

Whatever the outcome, please be sure to let us know for future reference.

PS If you are getting really sick of your car, buy raffle tickets for the
one that is going to be given away in June!

Rickie Williams
Columbia, KY