<VV> Performance Engine Mods

Bruce Schug bwschug@globalvision.net
Tue, 24 Feb 2004 14:33:04 -0500

Ron,

The "biggest restriction to getting street muscle in a Corvair engine"
is not the exhaust side. Not unless you're going to go out and run
6,000+ between traffic lights.

My understanding of the question was that we were talking about STREET
performance, not performance on a race track or autocross course. A
stock 140 with a good dual exhaust (like mine) will do fine under these
circumstances and you won't have problems denting headers, sealing
headers, getting heat for the heater, and all of the other negatives
that come with a high-performance header exhaust.

Headers won't show any increase in horsepower until way up the tach.
Even higher revs are required to get anything out of big exhaust tubes.
In everyday driving, even if you push it a bit, you'll never reach
those places on your tach. At an autocross or on a road course? Sure,
that's different.

Also realize. you hear guys talking all the time about how low they
shift their Corvairs. How many guys, even at an autocross, go over
6,000? Seems like they're just afraid to. If you build a
high-performance engine with a big cam, lots of intake and exhaust,
you'll have to wind it to get it up in the range to really develop all
that horsepower. If you're not afraid to run - 6,600; 6,800; 7,000
that's one thing. But if you're gonna shift it at 6,000 to "save it"
then you've wasted a lot of money.

Bruce

On Feb 23, 2004, at 9:20 PM, Ron Guy wrote:

> Bruce,
>     It's my opinion exhaust is the biggest restriction to getting
> street
> muscle in a Corvair engine. You seem to differ with this and I'd like
> know your reasoning. I'm not taking a swing at you I'd just like to
> hear
> what you have to say. You are one of the fastest guys at Corvairs In
> the
> Curves every year.
> Ron
>
> Bruce wrote...
> <For a STREET performance engine, forget the headers, "enlarged, angles
> <exhaust tubes" and roller rockers unless you just want to throw money
> <at the thing and plan to drive it like a maniac on the street and want
> <to brag about all your mods.
>
> <If you want to use all the best parts you can buy, put the roller
> <rockers back in. Use a good dual exhaust system with some nice
> mufflers
> <and be happy with it.
>
> <Bruce

Bruce W, Schug