<VV> Brake drum runout

Sadek Charles H DLVA SadekCH@NSWC.NAVY.MIL
Tue, 24 Feb 2004 12:45:48 -0500

Runout refers to eccentricity or differing from a normal rotational surface,
i.e. spin it and measure what it should be and how much it deviates from a
perfect circle.  Usually in thousands.
 Max diameter, marked in LATER non-Corvair drums used on Corvairs
sometimes.... usually marked in metric numbers (I have never seen one that
isn't metric) is the max. diameter of the inside of the brake drum-the brake
shoe surface rides on this. Marked as a max. diameter with tolerance of so
much plus or minus, for example.  This id increases with turning until it
could exceed a limit marked or specified by the manufacturer.  If you use
one beyond that the drum can crack and come apart-I know someone who did it
and have seen the result.

Chuck S
YS73

-----Original Message-----
From: YENBAT@aol.com [mailto:YENBAT@aol.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 24, 2004 11:43 AM
To: kaczmarek@charter.net; virtualvairs@skiblack.com
Subject: Re: <VV> LM brake drum runout

In a message dated 2/24/04 6:00:49 AM Pacific Standard Time,
kaczmarek@charter.net writes:
Folks
I know it is probably "In one of the books" somewhere, but I am at work and
my brake book only goes back to 1971

Can someone enlighten me as to the max runout on LM brake drums???

HANK
Hank,

According to the 65 Shop manual.

"Run-out must not exceed .005 in.total indicator reading."

How ya doin' little guy?

Tim Abney
CORSA and I.E.C.C. Member
'65 Monza Coupe