<VV> Yenko Stinger on eBay

Bill Elliott Bill Elliott" <corvair@fnader.com
Thu, 26 Feb 2004 21:41:05 -0500

Hate to jump in on this... but it's pretty accepted that owning the number is owning a REAL Stinger.

This is not a Corvair-specific thing... in Shelby Mustangs, the Shelby tags (and not the rest of the car) is
what makes it "real".  I know of a specific example where a high dollar Shelby was wrecked, the Shelby
tags removed and placed on another Mustang... and the original car eventually rebuilt... as a Shelby but
missing the Shelby tags. Both owners claimed the same numbers.

This situation was brought before the Shelby Club... who in the end decided that the person with the Shelby
tags (but not the real car) had the "real" Shelby... making his "clone" valuable and the original Shelby car
worthless (except as a Mustang). But still not as valuable as an all original numbers-matching Shelby.

What I've seen with the Stinger market is similar. The Stinger number (and the place on the registry) has a
certain intrinsic value (growing higher daily), the Stinger equipment (CR trans, etc) have an intrinsic value
(pretty steady value), and the Corvair itself has a certain intrinsic value (growing higher, but slowly). The car
is not "just a clone" if you have the Stinger number... but it would be "just a clone" if you had the real car
without the number. That's not just my opinion... that's pretty much the fact of the market.

The value of originality (original body, right vin on tag and body, matching the right Stinger number... our
version of "numbers matching") has historically had a small effect on the the value of the car... but in my
opinion this value is climbing steadily and will soon be the dominant value of the few select cars that meet
it.

VERY few Stingers can be documented to meet this stipulation... but those that can be will be the big dollar
cars in the near future...meaning some recent deals that looked pretty strange are actually very good
investments.

Just my $0.02....

I would be very interested in a street Stinger ("numbers matching" or not), but not at the dollars being asked
in this case.

Bill Elliott
#116 (rebodied)
Urbana, MD